Friday, January 31, 2014

Self Reflection


Follow my blog with Bloglovin As a mother I find myself getting so caught up in everything around me that I forget and have forgotten a lot about me.  Don't get me wrong, I love my little family and I wouldn't change my life, but I am a mom and it's easy to put my goals, and interests on hold and focus on everyday life. 

During the holidays I kind of had an epiphany shall we say.  I was really down on myself and just felt lost.  I felt really strongly that I needed to reconnect with myself and find out who I am.  (Because I don't know about you , but I swear I change daily)  So I took a time out for self reflection.  Here's a small list of things I wanted to improve on.

Doing things that pushed me to my limits
Finding out my strengths and focusing on them instead of on my weaknesses
Who I really am
Developing an artistic way to express myself
Appreciating my life and the gift of waking up everyday to a new day
Not comparing myself to other moms (Moms you know what I am talking about ;))

I have other things, but those were just a few examples. (Can you tell that I'm a perfectionist yet lol)
When I do self reflection, I like to read and explore.  I have a few books I would love to share with you.  I do take the covers off of books because they always get lost anyway so sorry you won't see the actual covers.

Volume four.  Thoughts for one hundred days by Richard L. Evans.
This book is amazing.  It has so many deep quotes by influential people.
Like Thomas Edison, Vergil, Horace.  Not only are there quotes, but there
are short stories that go along with the quotes.  I got this from Tylers' Grandma's
book collection right before she passed away.  I am so grateful for this book. So Inspirational

Treasure Yourself by Miranda Kerr... Yes, the supermodel.  Ok you're probably thinking
how does she know how hard life can be, she's a famous supermodel?!  Well, remember
that she wasn't always a supermodel, and just because someone is famous, doesn't mean they
are 100% confident with who they are.  This book talks about overcoming struggles, and being
confident and comfortable with who you are.  The last section of her book are words of affirmations.  They daily sayings and quotes from licensed professionals.  A lot of her book also talks about
respect and gratitude which I think we all can use.
 
I LOVE this book.  The Day you were born by Linda Joyce.  This book focuses on your horoscope.  For example I am an Aries.  That is me.  It talks about our Ego and Spirit and what happens when one is trying to over power the other, and depending on which one is the more powerful, how you are feeling.  It is spot on 100% correct.  It talks about ways to balance yourself, and how to focus on both ego and spirit.  This book has all of the horoscopes in it, so each horoscope has it's own section. 

Strengths Finder 2.0 by Tom Rath. My little sister recommended this book to me.  I am a perfectionist, so all of you perfectionists know how hard we are on ourselves, and how we focus on the negative, and how we could do better right?  Well this book does just the opposite.  It focuses on your strengths.  You can't lend out the book you actually have to buy it because each book has it's own code that allows you to log onto the website and take a quiz to find out your strengths.  Once you find out your strengths, it will tell you which strengths you need to pair up with for better results. ( My first strength couldn't be more correct :))
 
Last book on my list is The Birth Order book by Dr. Kevin Leman.  This book talks about.... you guessed it, your birth order.  Our birth order plays a large part on who we are.  I didn't realize that until I started reading this book.  Our birth orders explain why we get along with certain people, and why others are high stress, or perfectionists, or unmotivated.  It is a really interesting book.

 
I hope with the help of these books, you will be able to find your strengths and inspiration.  Remember focus on the positive aspects of your character and who you are.  We each have amazing qualities and talents.  Take a moment and remember yours!  Hugs XxX
 
 
"Let us be patient, tender, wise, forgiving, In this strange task of living..."
 
-Martin Armstrong
Volume Four Thoughts for one Hundred days
 

 

 



4 comments:

  1. Love this! I am so interested in "the day you were born"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I got The day you were born at Barnes and Noble. It was an accidental find in the clearance section. So check there first, but I'm sure you can find it on amazon or some place like that. Good Luck and Happy self reflection :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very interested in some of the books on your list! I love to read, a great tool for perspective and introspection! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Debra C. I got all the books at B&N Bookstore, but check out amazon too. Sometimes their prices are cheaper :)

    ReplyDelete